This page contains links to pages with valuable additional information, mostly about underwater fluorescence.
Copyright 2014 Lynn Miner : Roatan Honduras
Publications of ours (or from those who use our content):
- July/August 2016, Steve Miller, Adding Luminance to Fluo Photography, UwP91-2, UwP Magazine
- May 2016 Stuart Westmorland, Unterwasser Magazine, Die Nacht Zum Tag Gemacht
- Spring 2016 Steve Taylor, PNW Diver Magazine, Fluoro Photography
- Jan 2016 Lynn Miner Fluorescent Diving UwP88 Fluo also a direct link to UwP Magazine
- Dec 2015 Dive Training Magazine (US): Neon Lights by Barry Guimbellot (partially based on material we provided)
- 11 Nov 2015 Tri-City Herald Newspaper (US): Nuclear Security FDG supplied the torches, filters and training for this important national security counter terrorism program. Fluo dive lights aren't just for pretty pictures.
- 13 Feb 2015 Worlds Best Dives blog: https://worldsbestdives.com/fluo-night-diving/
- Fall-2014 Alert Diver (US): Seeing the Reef in a New Light - Fluorescence Night Diving - pages 44-47
- 02-Jan-2014 X-Ray Mag (DK): On the Rise: Fluorescent Night Diving in issue #58 (Jan 2014) on pages 88-91
(High Resolution, Medium Resolution, Low Resolution)
by Don Silcock (based on our material)
- 18-Oct-2013 DiveMaster (DE): Kommunikation unter Wasser - Elektromagnetische Wellen (Teil 1) (Linksammlung) in issue #78 3/2013 on pages 27-34
by Steffen Beyer and Dr. Friedrich Naglschmid
- 23-Sep-2013 DiveInside (DE): Biologie der Unterwasser-Fluoreszenz - Die Fluoreszenz als Phänomen
by Steffen Beyer
- 28-Aug-2013 Dive.in (DK): Fluorescence Night Diving Part 2 - Reef Conservation
by Torben Lønne (based on our material)
- 31-Jul-2013 Dive Magazine (GB): A hidden world - Ghostdivers going with the Fluo / Go With The Fluo in the issue of August 2013 on pages 32-46
by Jo Mattock and Graeme Gourlay (based on our material, with some photos by Ties Lahlali and Alex Tyrrell)
- 25-Jul-2013 DiveMaster (DE): Fluoreszenz-Nachttauchgänge - Die Welt neu entdecken in issue #77 2/2013 on pages 31-38
by Steffen Beyer
- 04-Jul-2013 Dive.in (DK): What is Fluorescence Night Diving
by Torben Lønne (based on our material)
- 22-May-2013 Blue Caribbean Magazine (TT): Finding the glow with "fluo" on pages 52-55 (don't enlarge any other pages to read it in full)
by Solomon Baksh (based on our material)
- 07-Dec-2012 Wired Magazine (US): Video: A Magical Nighttime Journey Through a Fluorescent Reef
by Brandon Keim (based on a telephone interview with Lynn Miner)
- 30-Nov-2012 Deep Sea News (US): TGIF - The spectacular fluorescent colours of Coral Reefs
by Dr. Alistair Dove (partially based on our material)
- John S. Sparks, Robert C. Schelly, W. Leo Smith, Matthew P. Davis, Dan Tchernov, Vincent A. Pieribone, David F. Gruber (08-Jan-2014): The Covert World of Fish Biofluorescence: A Phylogenetically Widespread and Phenotypically Variable Phenomenon.
More Helpful Links and Information:
There is a TV series consisting of three parts called Water Colors and produced by Liquid Motion Film for National Geographic, about underwater communication through colors, the third part of which is titled A Touch of Fluorescence, which contains some unheard-of and stunning footage of underwater fluorescence (even in the deep sea!). The series can be ordered directly from the producers; the three DVDs (3x50 min.) cost € 45 in total plus € 9 shipping (UK to NL), as of autumn 2012 - a real bargain, since the whole series is simply amazing!
See this video interview of Dr. Anya Salih from the University of Western Sydney, by the American Museum of Natural History, which gives an excellent insight into the medical applications and importance of underwater fluorescence.
Anya Salih, Ove Hoegh-Guldberg, Guy Cox (06-Oct-1997): Photoprotection of Symbiotic Dinoflagellates by Fluorescent Pigments in Reef Corals (PDF 603KB).
A.H. Baird, A. Salih, A. Trevor-Jones (17-Nov-2005): Fluorescence census techniques for the early detection of coral recruits (PDF 315KB).
John S. Sparks, Robert C. Schelly, W. Leo Smith, Matthew P. Davis, Dan Tchernov, Vincent A. Pieribone, David F. Gruber (08-Jan-2014): The Covert World of Fish Biofluorescence: A Phylogenetically Widespread and Phenotypically Variable Phenomenon.
Nico K. Michiels et al. (16-Sep-2008): Red fluorescence in reef fish: A novel signalling mechanism?, full text (PDF 6.6MB) (video supplement #1, video supplement #2).
Konstantin A. Lukyanov et al. (26-Apr-2009): Green fluorescent proteins are light-induced electron donors, full text (PDF 1.4MB).
Melissa S. Roth & Dimitri D. Deheyn (12-Mar-2013): Effects of cold stress and heat stress on coral fluorescence in reef-building corals, full text (PDF 2.3MB).
See Steffen Beyer's Fluolinks web page for the most comprehensive collection of information and links about fluorescence diving on the Internet, in particular with information about how to build your own gear and where to find other vendors of or suppliers for fluorescence diving gear as well as operators who offer fluorescence dives, and lots of photos and videos.
In particular, see his section about products for a comparison of other vendors and products.
Please note that we provide you with this link because we do not shy away from comparison with other manufacturers. We are confident that our equipment performs better and has a better "bang for the buck" ratio. Contrary to most other vendors we experiment a lot and test our own gear extensively in order to fine-tune it for optimal results. We do this out of passion for underwater fluorescence and for fun, never mind the costs. This would simply be too expensive for other manufacturers to do.